1. Karnataka Govt launched ‘Unnati’ Scheme
The Karnataka Department of Social Welfare has launched Unnati, a scheme to foster entrepreneurs working on rural and social impact technologies from SC/ST background.
- The first stream of Unnati is technology innovation.
- As part of the scheme, the department will invest up to Rs 20 crore to create end-to-end support infrastructure for start-ups and entrepreneurs from a marginalized background.
2. IMF retains India FY19 growth outlook at 7.3%
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has retained its India growth forecast for the current year but it will remain the fastest-growing major economy.
- It had in January forecast FY20 growth at 7.5%. China is forecast to grow 6.6% and 6.2% in 2018 and 2019, respectively. The Indian economy grew 6.7% in FY18.
- In its latest World Economic Outlook, the IMF said India will grow 7.3% in FY19 and 7.4% in FY20.
3. Nobel Prize in economics awarded to William Nordhaus and Paul Romer
American economists William Nordhaus and Paul Romer have been awarded the Economics Nobel Prize 2018 for their work on understanding how economies can grow sustainably.
- Nordhaus, a professor at Yale University, is best known for his work on climate economics.
- It is also known as The Sveriges Riksbank Prize and was established in 1968.
- Romer, of NYU’s Stern School of Business, is a proponent of a theory that examines how the world can achieve sustainable growth.
4. ESIC won ‘ISSA GOOD Practice Award, Asia & the Pacific 2018’
The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has won the ‘ISSA Good Practice Award’ for Administrative Solution for Coverage Extension at the “Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific” held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia recently.
- The Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and the Pacific is a triennial Forum, which is the most important social security event in the Region.
- The award recognizes the measures taken by ESIC for extension of coverage-SPREE (Scheme for Promoting Registration of Employers and Employees), reduced rate of contribution rates for 24 months in newly implemented areas and raising the wage limit for coverage under the ESI Act, etc.
5. World Post Day is celebrated on October 9
This day commemorates the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in Bern, Switzerland.
- On this day, several countries introduce or promote new postal products and services.
- This day creates awareness about the role of the postal sector in the everyday activities of people its contribution to social and economic development.
6. Yes Bank names TS Vijayan & OP Bhatt as external members for MD selection panel
He is the former IRDA chief and LIC chairman TS Vijayan and former SBI chief OP Bhatt as an external member to a 5 member committee panel.
YES Bank constituted a 5 member committee to select the upcoming MD after the current MD Mr. Rana Kapoor leaves office after January 31st2019.
The Other internal members of the committee are:
- Brahm Dutt, Independent Director, who chairs the Committee
- Mukesh Sabharwal an Independent Director and
- Subhash Chander Kalia, Non-Executive Non-Independent Director.
- They consist of the bank’s board’s Nomination and Remuneration Committee.
7. Ruhan Rajput bagged Midday Young Achiever Icons Award 2018
He was awarded in the film and television category for his work in the industry in a short period of time.
- He was presented the award by Ms. Amruta Fadnavis, wife of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- He is the director of “Einfolge”, a company that deals with patents, trademarks, etc.
- He is also the owner of “Gloss Skin and Hair Clinic”.
8. Nepal bagged tourism awards at 14th Annual Travel Awards ceremony held in New Delhi
The 14th Hospitality India and Explore the World Annual International Travel Awards 2018 held in New Delhi.
- The award ceremony was organized to honor the best-in-class in the field of Tourism and Hospitality Industry Sector in India and Nepal.
- The Chandragiri Hills Limited of Nepal got the best tourism destination of Nepal award in the hospitality and tourism sector.
9. Muhammed Anas Yahiya Broke Own National Record In 400m
Star sprinter Muhammed Anas Yahiya entered the record books as he broke his own national record to win the 400 metres race at the Cena Noveho Mesta nad Metuji meets in the Czech Republic.
Anas set a time of 45.24 seconds to break his own record of 45.31 seconds which he had set during the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast in April 2018.
10. All India Football Federation Awards 2017 Announced: Complete List Of Winners
The All India Football Federation (AIFF), the governing body of football in India named India and Bengaluru FC Captain Sunil Chhetri as the AIFF Player of the Year in the Federation’s Executive Committee Meeting in Mumbai.
- The All India Football Federation announced several other awards as well in the Meeting.
- The meeting was chaired by AIFF President Praful Patel.
- Kamala Devi bagged the 2017 AIFF Woman Player of the Year.