1. World Tourism Day: 27 September
On September 27, the United Nations World Tourism Organization observed World Tourism Day as international observancesSince 1980.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness of the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted.
- The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- The theme of the day in 2018 is “Tourism and the Digital Transformation”.
2. Tribes India launched “Punch Tantra Collection and Ms. Mary Kom as Brand Ambassador”
Tribes India and TRIFED under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched “Punch Tantra Collection and Ms. Mary Kom as Brand Ambassador of Tribes India” at a function.
- Shri Jual Oram, Union Minister for Tribal Affairs introduced the Indian Sporting Legend and the World Boxing Champion Ms. Mary Kom as the Brand Ambassador of “Tribes India” and launched the “Punch Tantra” Diwali collection.
- Four promotional video spots produced by NFDC featuring Brand Ambassador Ms. Mary Com promoting Tribal products of Tribes India were also released on the occasion.
3. Axis Bank, VCAT tie up to provide banking services to start-up firms
Private sector lender Axis Bank has tied up with Venture Catalysts (VCAT) to provide corporate banking services to start-up companies.
- As an added benefit, Axis Bank will also waive off banking transaction fee for the first two years for start-ups at the bootstrapping stage.
- As part of the tie-up, VCAT will provide mentoring to hone business ideation, apart from incubating and providing support to upcoming start-ups.
4. Rajni Kant Misra appointed BSF chief, S. S. Deswal to head SSB
Senior IPS officers Rajni Kant Misra and S S Deswal were appointed director general of the Border Security Force (BSF) and the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) respectively.
- Deswal, a 1984-batch IPS officer of the Haryana cadre, will head the SSB in place of Misra.
- Misra, a 1984-batch IPS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre, is at present serving as the SSB chief.
5. PM Modi got UN’s ‘Champions of the Earth’ award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded with the UN’s highest environmental honor, bestowed upon five other individuals and organizations, for his leadership of the International Solar Alliance and pledge to eliminate single-use plastic in India by 2022.
- French President Emmanuel Macron and Modi have been jointly recognized in the Policy Leadership category for their pioneering work in championing the International Solar Alliance.
- Six of the world’s most outstanding environmental changemakers have been recognized with the Champions of the Earth Award, the UN’s highest environmental honor.
- Cochin International Airport has also been honored this year with the award for Entrepreneurial Vision, for its leadership in the use of sustainable energy.
6. AAI’s Ahmedabad and Indore Airports awarded as Best Airports under National Tourism Awards
Airports Authority of India’s Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Indore and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad were conferred with the prestigious National Tourism Awards 2016-17 at a glittering award function on World Tourism Day.
- The award was presented by Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism, Shri K.J. Alphons.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad received the Best Airport Award in Major Cities category and Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport, Indore received the Best Airport Award in ‘Rest of India’ category for the promotion of Tourism at these airports.
7. India listed 96th on Economic Freedom Index; Hong Kong, Singapore retain top spot
As per the 2018 report on Economic Freedom in the World, released by the Centre for Civil Society in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute, India stands at 96th rank out of 162 countries in economic freedom. Last year, India’s rank was 98.
- Hong Kong and Singapore again topped the index ranking first and second respectively.
- The other countries in the top 10 were: New Zealand, Switzerland, Ireland, the US, Georgia, Mauritius, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada (tied for 10th) respectively.
8. Centre appointed a search committee for Lokpal and Lokayuktas
The Centre suggested an eight-member search committee for Lokpal and Lokayuktas. The step came after the Supreme Court’s order to appoint Lokpal at the earliest.
- The search committee was appointed by the selection committee. The Search committee will be headed by former Supreme Court judge, Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai.
- The Selection committee constituted Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, Leader of the largest Opposition party, i.e, Congress Mallikarjun Kharge, Jurist Mukul Rohatgi.
Search committee members:
Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai – Former Supreme Court judge
- A.S. Kiran Kumar – Former ISRO Head
- Sakha Ram Singh Yadav – Former judge of the Allahabad HC
- Arundhati Bhattacharya – Former SBI Chief
- A. Surya Prakash – Chairperson of Prasar Bharati
- Shabbirhusein S Khandwawala – Former Gujarat Police Head
- Lalit K Panwar – Retired IAS Officer of Rajasthan cadre
- Ranjit Kumar – Retired IAS Officer of Rajasthan cadre
9. PV Sindhu only sportsperson in Forbes India’s Maiden List of 22 ‘Tycoons of Tomorrow’
Badminton player and Olympian PV Sindhu is the only sportsperson featuring in the Forbes India’s maiden ‘tycoons of tomorrow’ list of 22 young achievers in the fields of business, acting and sports.
Other prominent names in the list are
- Ashni Biyani, managing director of Future Consumer;
- Birla scion Ananya Birla, founder of Svatantra Microfinance, co-founder, CuroCarte and co-founder of Mpower;
- Radha Kapoor Khanna, the daughter of Yes Bank CEO Rana Kapoor;
- Karan Adani, chief executive of Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone;
- Anant Goenka, group executive director of Indian Express;
- Ritesh Agarwal of Oyo Rooms.
10. Anil Khosla appointed as new Vice Chief of Indian Air Force
Eastern Air Command chief Anil Khosla will be appointed as the new Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force. He will take over as the new vice chief of the Indian Air Force (IAF) with Air Marshal SB Deo set to retire.
- On the other hand, Air Marshal HS Arora will be handed over the position of Commander-in-Chief of Western Air Command.
- There are other approved postings by the IAF, including that of Deputy Air Chief R Nambiar who is all set to be designated as the Commander-in-Chief of Eastern Air Command, which is headquartered at Shillong.