1. India moves up to 28th rank in govt e-payment adoption
India’s overall ranking on the government’s adoption of e-payments has moved up to 28th in 2018, from 36th in 2011.
- Norway leads the pack in the 73-country ranking, followed by France and Denmark.
- The country holds the top ranking on B2G and G2B transactions and comes third on C2G transactions jointly with Argentina.
2. Reliance Health Insurance got the final nod from IRDAI
Reliance Health Insurance has received the final nod from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) to begin operations.
- Reliance Health will commence business by the December quarter.
- Reliance Health Insurance, a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Capital, has received R3 approval from IRDAI for its new health insurance business.
3. YES Bank appointed OP Bhatt, TS Vijayan as external experts to scout for new MD & CEO
YES Bank has appointed former State Bank of India chief OP Bhatt and former insurance regulator TS Vijayan as external experts to help find a successor to its Managing Director and CEO Rana Kapoor.
- YES Bank has also invited proposals from Global Leadership Advisory Firms specializing in the banking and financial sector to work with the search and selection committee.
- Additionally, internal members to the search panel will include Brahm Dutt, Mukesh Sabharwal, and Subhash Chander Kalia.
4. Govt appointed Rakesh Sharma as IDBI chief
The government has appointed senior banker Rakesh Sharma as managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of IDBI Bank.
- Sharma is a former MD and CEO of Canara Bank and was among the few bankers hired in 2015 from the private sector to lead big state-run banks.
- Sharma was appointed for six months or until further orders and will have the task of ensuring a smooth transfer of majority ownership from the government to Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
5. Ramon Laguarta succeeds Pepsico’s Indian-origin CEO, Indra Nooyi
Ramon Laguarta assumed the role of Chief Executive Officer of global beverage giant PepsiCo, succeeding India-born Indra Nooyi who had helmed the American company for 12 years.
- Nooyi will remain Chairman until early 2019 to ensure a smooth and seamless transition.
- She stepped down after 24 years with the company, the last 12 as CEO.
6. Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad won Nobel Peace Prize 2018
The 2018 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.
- Mukwege, a gynecologist and surgeon, has long worked to treat thousands of women and girls affected by rape and sexual violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- In 2016, at age 23, she was made a UN goodwill ambassador for the dignity of survivors of human trafficking.
- Murad is a Yazidi woman from the northern Iraqi town of Sinjar, who was held as a sex slave by ISIS.
7. Centre appointed Rakesh Sharma as head of IDBI Bank
The Centre has appointed Rakesh Sharma, former Canara Bank MD, as head of IDBI Bank. He has been appointed as MD for a period of six months. The tenure of B.Sriram, who was appointed as chief executive of IDBI Bank for three months, ended in September 2018.
- Type: Public Sector Bank
- Industry: Banking, Financial services
- Owner: Government of India
- Founded: 1 July 1964
- Headquarters: Mumbai, India
- Key people: Mr.Rakesh Sharma
8. Governments Naga talks interlocutor R N Ravi appointed Deputy National Security Advisor
He will also continue to be the central government’s interlocutor for Nagaland.
- He is a 1976-batch Indian Police Service officer (retired) of the Kerala cadre.
- In August 2018, he was given an extension as the government’s representative for the talks with National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM).
9. Vikram Limaye appointed as Chairman of Working Committee and Director on the Board of WFE
WFE also admitted 6 new members. They are Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCX), London Stock Exchange Group, Boursa Kuwait, Tunis Stock Exchange, China Securities Depository and Clearing Corporation and Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Vikram Limaye is the Managing Director and CEO of National Stock Exchange of India (NSE).
- His appointment was made at the 58th General Assembly and Annual Meeting of WEF in Athens, Greece.
10. Exza Infosystems launched Digital ad solution platform
Exza Infosystems, a Pune-based firm, launched ‘ADvantage’ a digital advertisement solution platform. The platform will connect advertisers directly to digital satellite television viewers to showcase their products and services in Telangana.
- Deputy Chief Minister Mohd. Mahmood Ali launched the service in the presence of Exza’s senior officials Joy Kokkat, Adnan Dhuliawala, and Sonia Rau here on Wednesday.
- The firm, which is also into making set-top boxes, has tied up with multiple system operator, Brightways Communications, to reach up to five lakh households or 25 lakh people in the State.